March 28, 2007

Books & Reading


Both of our children LOVE being read to and are so interested in books! Today Jennifer, our Usborn Books rep dropped off our new book order. Ace was so excited to read 'Shark in the Park' that he rushed through his bat &, bedtime routine and ran to get into bed so I could read him this book. I love that they're so excited about reading because I've never liked to read.

In fact, reading books has always been a challenge for me; it's like torture (OK that's a bit exaggerated). Just recently I visited a new optometrist and she asked if I had ever had a hard time with reading...I was shocked that she asked this question because yes I did. She said that because I have an eye that turns-in occasionally, that when I read my eyes have a hard time following a line of text and then switching to the next line; I loose my place often. It all made sense, that's why it has always been difficult for me. She suggested that I read with a ruler or straight edge and that might help with my shifting eyes. The optometrist also suggested that we bring Ace & Scarlett in to have their eyes checked as soon as possible because the condition is hereditary and can possibly be treated before they are 6 years-old (that's when your eyes are finished developing).

Ever since our children were born, we've read to them because I wanted them to enjoy books. I'm so pleased that they love their books so much. I'm working on my reading...however I've never had a problem reading magazines, I'm a mag junkie!

No comments: