August 21, 2010

2010|8|21


Life can change in the blink of an eye...

Just when I thought the stress had settled,
and that there surly wasn't anything else that could arise before baby #3 arrived,
we were reminded today how fast things can change in an instant.

We headed to the dam (local nearby lake) this afternoon,
to let our dog Piper get some exercise.
She loves the water and with Cory being sick for the past few days,
we wanted to give her some playtime.

As I was taking a few photos,
Ace was capturing bugs,
Scarlett was putting her tootsies in the water
Cory was throwing the ball for our dog.

Cory threw the ball into the water for Piper,
she went after it but missed seeing it in the choppy water.
She swam out farther & farther.

We called her back,
she didn't hear us & kept on swimming out deeper & deeper.
Panic started to set in that she wasn't heading back till she found the ball.
She was about 300 meters out and had never been that deep or in the water for that long before.

Cory started to take off his hat & shoes,
his first instinct was to go in after our dog.
(I will admit this is something I would never have understood till owning a dog of our own)
As Cory dove in,
I gathered the kids while starting to hyper ventilate.
The kids were hysterical,
realizing the seriousness of the situation,
thinking they were loosing their dog.

I got the kids to the truck, told them to wait there.
They were so scared but I knew they would be safe there.

Then I heard Cory yell
I've never heard him yell with such panic in his voice!

I ran back to the beach to the situation...
My first thought was that our dog hadn't made it.
But luckily by that time our dog had turned around and swam back.
She was safe on the beach.

Cory had swam half way to Piper
she heard him calling her back and turned around.
But when Cory began to swim back,
his lungs had gave out (due to being sick with the flu and his asthma for the past few days).
He was out pretty far and felt like he wasn't going to make it back to shore.

Luckily there was a family swimming close by
they realized the panic of the situation and went after Cory to rescue him with lifejackets.
They got to him in time, we are all so thankful for their help!
I don't know if I would have been able to go in and rescue him at 39.5 weeks pregnant???

Cory was OK,
he caught his breath.
We all were shaken with what had just happened.
We went home so thankful for the outcome of the situation.

I know things turned out for us, but
all the what-ifs of today really scared me.
It took about an hour for me to breathe normally again...
I hope this is the last scare for us for a while.

3 comments:

LiaL said...

Oh my goodness, Starr, what a frantic day you have had! So glad that Cory and Piper are both well. Hopefully your next excitement will be the arrival of your newest little girl!!

jen e. said...

I am so happy to hear that all of the "what ifs" turned out positive, and that no one was hurt. These moments stop us in our tracks and remind us how delicate our lives are, and how life can easily change in a moment. I bet that you will be cuddling your babies a little closer tonight, and being thankful that everyone is at home and safely tucked in their beds....thank you for sharing your experience Starr...it is a good reminder for all of us.

Lori said...

Yikes! that sounds scary Starr. Glad Corey and Piper are okay - try to take it easy the next while you guys, huh!

Lori